Grant MacEwan University Library is seeking a dynamic and innovative librarian at City Centre Campus to provide reference, collection development, faculty liaison and instructional services in support of the new Bachelor of Science degree. Reporting to the Chair, Reference and Research Services, this is a full-time probationary position leading to a full-time continuing faculty position and commences August, 2011.
- Applicants require a Master of Library and Information Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited program and an undergraduate degree or significant post-secondary education in the sciences.
- At least one year of academic library experience, including reference, collection development, and information literacy instruction in the sciences is required.
- Proficiency in using current information resources in the sciences and an understanding of practices and trends in scientific scholarly communication and research are essential.
- Candidates will be conversant with information literacy instruction pedagogy, have experience integrating information literacy into an undergraduate curriculum and a demonstrated ability to teach in a variety of settings and formats.
- Competency and interest in emerging and Web 2.0 technologies, web authoring software are definite assets.
The librarian must demonstrate initiative and possess outstanding communication, presentation, teaching and interpersonal skills; exhibit resourcefulness, innovation and flexibility; be able to function effectively independently and as a team member; be able to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities; and have the ability to work collaboratively and collegially with faculty members, librarian colleagues and other staff within the MacEwan Library and the wider science community at MacEwan. The successful candidate will join the library’s science team in cultivating partnerships through liaison work with departments, faculty and students. Candidates will contribute to library and university committees and show evidence of professional initiative.
Grant MacEwan University, located in Edmonton, is a rapidly growing institution with over 11,000 FTE students. It offers a wide array of educational opportunities and credentials on its four campuses, including baccalaureate and applied degrees, diplomas and certificates.
City Centre Campus, located in downtown Edmonton has a full-time student enrollment of approximately 6,600. The Bachelor of Science degree was launched in 2010 and offers six majors including Biological Sciences, Psychology, Physical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Computer Science and Mathematics as well as eight minors. MacEwan has four libraries with 57 FTE staff, including 15 librarians. Growing collections include 297,000 print volumes, 27,000 audiovisual items, more than 100,000 e books, and over 28,000 journal titles in digital or print format.
Librarians are members of the Grant MacEwan University Faculty Association.The University has a generous benefits package including 44 vacation days per year for faculty members.
Applicants should submit a letter of application and curriculum vitae.
This position is included under the Faculty Association Collective Agreement.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Grant MacEwan University thanks all applicants for their interest in employment, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Apply online at www.macewan.ca . Select "Careers" on the homepage for job posting links.